Walking in a Winter Wonderland
Penticton is a place where you will learn to fall in love with winter all over again.
The winters are so dry and temperate here that many outdoor activities continue right through the year. You can go for a bracing hike up Munson Mountain or fat biking along the Kettle Valley Rail (KVR) Trail and there are many other walking trails along the lakeshores, creeks and through downtown.
Extend your stay and spend the winter here! Penticton is the perfect winter retreat for extended stays and snowbirds.
On The Slopes
The city of Penticton doesn’t typically see a huge amount of snowfall, but a mere 30 minute drive from the city you’ll find Apex Mountain Ski Resort and Nickel Plate Nordic Centre, where you can wallow in the white stuff to your heart’s content.
Apex is a full-service destination resort known for incredible terrain, champagne powder snow and super short lift lineups. Whether you’re a beginner or a seasoned pro, Apex has something to offer. There are plenty of easy to moderate groomed runs as well as some exhilarating runs through the trees.
Try downhill skiing, snowboarding, night skiing, glide the 1 km skating loop through the forest, tubing, or join a pick-up hockey game on the rink at Apex Mountain Resort.
For exclusive discounted Apex passes, come by the Penticton Visitor Centre and pick up one of our 1-day adult lift ticket vouchers.
Nickel Plate Nordic Centre is a world class Nordic ski destination, with 56 km of groomed trails for both classic and skate skiing and 22.5 km of marked snowshoe trails. Starting at 1,750 metres above sea level, Nickel Plate offers an unparalleled experience of blue skies, endless mountain vistas, and one of the longest ski seasons in Canada.
Another great ski resort, just over an hour’s drive south from Penticton is Baldy Mountain Resort. Ski or snowboard through the perfectly spaced glades, on their groomed runs, or take a walk through the woods on snowshoes.
Winter Activities Checklist
- Take day trips up to Apex Mountain Resort and Baldy Mountain Resort and participate in a wide range of mountain adventures
- Experience classic cross-country skiing, skate skiing or snowshoeing at Nickel Plate Nordic Centre
- Rent a fat bike from Freedom Bike Shop and explore the Kettle Valley Rail (KVR) Trail
- Try indoor rock climbing or book a snowshoe tour with Hoodoo Adventures
- Enjoy a skate at the Outdoor Public Skating Rink or indoor public skating at McLaren Arena
- Cheer on Penticton’s own Junior ‘A’ Hockey Team, the Penticton Vees at the South Okanagan Events Centre
- Pick up gifts, souvenirs, and local products at the Penticton Visitor Centre, downtown shops or in one of the many shopping centres
- Book a guided wine tour or brewery tour to receive a more intimate experience
- Take in a movie at the Landmark Cinema 7
- Visit the Penticton Museum to learn the history of the city along with other exhibits
- Check out one of the local Christmas craft fairs or markets, dates and details can be found on our events calendar