Walking in a Winter Wonderland
Penticton is a place where you will learn to fall in love with winter all over again.
The winters are so dry and temperate here that many outdoor activities continue right through the year. You can go for a bracing hike up Munson Mountain or fat biking along the Kettle Valley Rail (KVR) Trail and there are many other walking trails along the lakeshores, creeks and through downtown.
Extend your stay and spend the winter here! Penticton is the perfect winter retreat for extended stays and snowbirds.
On The Slopes
The City of Penticton doesn’t typically see a huge amount of snowfall, but a mere 25 minute drive from the city you’ll find Apex Mountain Ski Resort and Nickel Plate Nordic Centre, where you can wallow in the white stuff to your heart’s content.
Apex is a full service destination resort known for incredible terrain, champagne powder snow and super short lift lineups. Whether you’re a beginner or a seasoned pro, Apex has something to offer. There are plenty of easy to moderate groomed runs as well as some exhilarating runs through the trees.
Try downhill skiing, snowboarding, night skiing, glide the 1 km skating loop through the forest, tubing, or join a pick-up hockey game on the rink at Apex Mountain Resort.
Winter Activities Checklist
- Experience classic cross country skiing, skate skiing or snowshoeing at Nickel Plate Nordic Centre
- Rent a fat bike from Freedom Bike Shop and explore the Kettle Valley Rail (KVR) Trail
- Try indoor rock climbing or book a snowshoe tour with Hoodoo Adventures
- Enjoy a skate at the Outdoor Public Skating Rink or indoor public skating at McLaren Arena
- Cheer on Penticton’s own Junior ‘A’ Hockey Team, the Penticton Vees at the South Okanagan Events Centre
- Pick up gifts, souvenirs, and local products at the Penticton Visitor Centre, downtown shops or in one of the many shopping centres
- Book a guided wine tour or brewery tour to receive a more intimate experience
- Take in a movie at the Landmark Cinema 7
- Visit the Penticton Museum to learn the history of the city along with other exhibits
- Check out one of the local Christmas craft fairs or markets, dates and details can be found on our events calendar
- Stop by the SS Sicamous, only open for the holidays from December 19 – 23, 2022, to enjoy the magic of Christmas with the family