Many people in our community have concerns about the spread of COVID-19. Travel Penticton is monitoring the situation closely to ensure the most up-to-date information is available and recommended practices and protocols are followed.
It is important to know the facts. Visit the health agency websites listed below for accurate and up-to-date information. They also offer the information translated into other languages.
What you can do:
- Stay home as much as possible and self-isolate from others in the household if you feel unwell.
- Practice social distancing. If you are out in public, try to keep 2 metres between yourself and others.
- Wash hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. If soap and water are not available, use a hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol.
- Avoid touching eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Cover mouth and nose with a tissue when you cough or sneeze or use the inside of your elbow.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched surfaces daily.
If you think you may have symptoms of COVID-19, call 8-1-1 for an assessment. The Public Health Agency of Canada has created a toll-free phone number (1-833-784-4397) to answer questions from Canadians about COVID-19.
For more information and updates, please visit the following websites:
Local Business Operations
As part of the ongoing effort to encourage social distancing and prevent the spread of COVID-19, local businesses in and around Penticton are taking measures to protect staff and guests and the general public. This may include: closures, changes to hours of operation and limited or altered services.
The information on our visitpenticton website is being updated on a daily basis, but is subject to change, please contact individual businesses for confirmation of any operational alterations.
BC Transit is now limiting the number of Penticton passengers on each bus to 20 passengers. This will add space for physical distancing as part of its ongoing efforts to keep riders and drivers safe. In addition, riders are asked to stand behind an enhanced red line on the floor of the bus. Updated information will be posted on board.
Visit Penticton’s Transit Page for generic information about local services.
Note: BC Transit is deemed an essential service by the Province of BC and will continue to operate province wide. A number of safety improvements have already been made, including enhanced cleaning measures and enforcing rear-door entry – with no fares temporarily required. Front doors will only be used for accessible boarding.
Local Business Resources
If you are a business operator in Penticton there are a number of resources available to assist you during the COVID-19 pandemic. Click the links below for details.
- Government of Canada – Information for Businesses and Employees
- City of Penticton COVID-19 Information
- BC Government – Support for Small Business in BC
- Government of Canada Business App
- Federal Wage Subsidy for Canadian Businesses
- Business Credit Availability Program (BCAP)
- ‘Travelling to Penticton & South Okanagan’ Toolkit
There are also several platforms offering ideas and information on a variety of topics including: health & safety, recovery and marketing messaging. Below are a few recommendations.
- Destination BC Explore Local Content Toolkit – Find best practices for encouraging BC residents to #ExploreBCLocal.
- TripAdvisor Covid-19 Webinar Series – You’ll hear perspectives from Tourism Economics (an Oxford Economics company), E-Tourism Frontiers, and Twenty31 along with insights from Tripadvisor.
- Reknown – Whether it’s a brand story, trend or complex technology, Reknown speak clearly and concisely in a language hoteliers and travel industry professionals can understand.
- BC Restaurant & Food Services Association – The BCRFA is your voice to the government and your source for real-time information about key issues facing your business.
- Small Business BC – Small Business BC helps BC’s entrepreneurs grow successful and sustainable businesses through expert business advisors, educational services, easy-to-use free resources and engaging community events.