For up to date and accurate information regarding the Christie Mountain Wildfire, please reference these official links.
BC Wildfire Service has implemented an area restriction order of the area surrounding the Christie Mountain Wildfire.
This order will remain in place until noon on October 15, 2020 or until it is rescinded
Under this order and Section 11(2) of the Wildfire Act, a person must not remain in or enter the restricted area without the prior written authorization of an official designated for the purposes of the Wildfire Act, unless the person enters the area only in the course of:
• travelling to or from his or her principle residence that is not under an evacuation order;
• travelling to or from private or leased property for the purposes of accessing a secondary residence or recreational property that is not under an evacuation order;
• travelling as a person acting in an official capacity;
• travelling for the purpose of supporting wildfire suppression activities; and
• engaging and/or participating in agricultural activities pertaining to livestock or vineyard management on private or leased property.
Notice to Boaters and Pleasure Craft Operators on Skaha Lake:
The City of Penticton is requesting the assistance of recreational boaters on Skaha Lake amid the Christie Mountain Wildfire.
Air tankers responding to the wildfire are collecting lake water to support their efforts.
The city is requesting that boaters refrain from operating in any portion of the lake where air tankers are refilling and that they always maintain operational awareness and be aware of any air craft in the area.
Notice to Bikers and Hikers:
Mountain bikers, road cyclists and hikers alike to please avoid all areas within proximity to the fire zones
Mountain bikers and hikers please stay away from Skaha Bluffs, Wiltse and Carmi Trails and please access the other regional trails with caution
Realtime Conditions in Penticton
As this event progresses, we will be actively posting Realtime Penticton visual updates from around the city to our our social media accounts.
Please share your personal experiences with the hashtag below
August 23rd, 12:12 pm – Video captured at Skaha Lake Park
August 19th, 1:14 pm – Video Captured on top of Munson Mountain